Frequently asked questions

Frequently asked questions

The questions below are the ones we are asked most frequently. If you can't find the answer you are looking for, please contact us and one of our advisers will be happy to help.

You are required by law to have Employers' Liability insurance for people whom you employ under a contract of service or apprenticeship. Whether you need Employers' Liability insurance for someone who works for you depends on the terms of your contract with them. This contract can be spoken, written or implied. It does not matter whether you usually call someone an employee or self-employed or what their tax status is. Whether you choose to call your contract a contract of employment or a contract for services is largely irrelevant. What matters is the real nature of your relationship with the people who work for you and the nature and degree of control that you have over the work they do. The following paragraphs may help give you some indication of whether or not a person is an employee under the Employers' Liability (Compulsory Insurance) Act. However, it is for you to satisfy yourself of the status of the persons working for you and if you have any doubts, you should seek legal advice. You may need Employers' Liability insurance for someone who works for you where: you deduct national insurance and income tax from the money you pay them; you have the right to control where and when they work and how they do it; you supply their work materials and equipment; you have a right to any profit your workers make although you may choose to share this with them through commission, performance pay or shares; you require that person only to deliver the service and they cannot employ a substitute if they are unable to do the work; or they are treated in the same way as other employees, for example, they do the same work under the same conditions as someone else you employ
Yes, but keep in mind that the policy does not allow for a refund, in the event that it is cancelled or amended prior to the expiry date.
Yes, of course. Simply log in to your members area and click the "Amend Policy" button. If you have any problems, please call us.
We accept Visa, MasterCard and PayPal payments; just enter your details in the final step.
These can be found under the "Product literature" section of this page. You will also find them in the members area should you elect to proceed with your quotation.
Although this is not a specific requirement of our insurance policy, it is highly recommended that you have one in place.
Call us on 01959 560495, and we will provide a quotation
Although this is not a specific requirement of our insurance policy, it is highly recommended that you carry these out.
You can;
Yes you can increase it up to £10,000,000, just log in to your members area and click "Amend Policy". You can then amend your policy as required.
You can print a "To Whom It May Concern" letter once you login to the account section.
Civil liability insurance, which is included as standard, is a wider version of public liability insurance and will be more than acceptable to the local authority.
Please see the question "Do I need employers liability insurance?".
You are not covered whilst your student(s) is/are being examined. The examiner should have their own insurance for this. All other IDTA activities are covered.
As long as your failure to do so was not deliberate or malicious, the policy will cover you (subject to all of the other Terms and Conditions of the cover).
Subject to the terms of the policy, cover is provided for the legal costs incurred due to investigation by HMRC.
Yes. The policy provides cover for a company or Individual and their employees only; it cannot cover more than one entity.
Yes. You are still exposed to the same risks as a full time teacher.
No. Our policy covers instructors who are domiciled and work in the UK only.
No. You are covered under your Civil Liability to teach students of any age.
Parents do not need to stay for the class. This does not affect your insurance cover.
We do require parental permission to be obtained upon admission to the course. You do not need to update this, unless the student leaves for an extended period of time. This can be in the form of an email, signed consent form or an online tick box followed up by a phone call.
You are not required by law to have Personal Accident insurance. This cover is designed to cover yourself for if you are injured during a class and cannot teach. You may want to include this cover for your employees, if you would have to cancel classes if they were to be injured. For example, if you injure yourself on Monday and have to cancel your classes for the rest of the week, you will not be paid for that week. This cover will provide you up to £50 a week until you are able to teach again. Please see our ‘Personal Accident Explained’ section for more information. You do not need this insurance to cover your students.
The ratio of adults to children is not determined by us - please check the guidelines from your local government, exam board or association as the ratio could be dependant on your qualification.
There is no limit to the amount of students you can teach. However, the amount of students should be controlled by the ratio of adults to children (please read the question about the adult to children radio).

- Get A Quote -

Premium £53.30
Insurance Premium Tax @ 6% £3.30
Administration Fee £1.50
Total Payable (per year) £63.30

Speak to an adviser

01959 588722 Monday to Friday 9.00am - 5.00pm

- News -

Latest Stories